Skip to main content

Our Love-Hate Relationship with Sweets



Oh those sweets! We love them. We hate them.

We love the taste of sweets. We love the feeling of sweetness in our mouths. In fact, we love the "feeling of sweetness". Oh but the guilt that follows the bite down is enough to spoil that love affair with each swallow.

I can hear it now... "this is bad for me, I will gain weight, my face will break out, where is my will power, this causes inflammation, this causes addiction, this causes disease..!" * Gulp! * You just ate that, all that. The guilt is punishing enough to make you never eat another sweet again. That is, until the next bite tempts us. "Oh, hello my sweet love!"

Sweet food is, for many of us, a love-hate relationship. We crave sweetness for many reasons. One reason people eat sweets is that we have become "programmed" unconsciously to do so. We have become mindless when it comes to putting something inside our bodies based on triggers that aren't the hunger triggers. How many times have you had a bowl of sweets while you were at the computer or watching TV, and magically, it disappeared without you realizing it! Do you procrastinate by eating sweet food? Do you shove emotions inside with sweet food? Do you eat sweets because some emotion or part of your life is missing? Do you eat them because they just somehow magically find their way into your mouth?

Mindful Eating with Sweets:
The next time you find yourself about ready to put a sweet in your mouth...
  • Push the "pause" button. If you can, put the food down for 10 minutes. This gives you a mental break in your actions (that may not be conscious or mindful).
  • Be curious about your actions. Ask yourself: Are you hungry? If so, is this the best choice? Why this and not something healthier? Does the activity I'm doing now usually trigger me to eat sweets? Don't be judgmental or harsh on yourself. Just be curious, interested, and obtain some conscious information.
  • Conjure up some wonderful, "sweet" feelings. This can be happy memories, people, pets, things you love, or something you are appreciative and grateful for. Sometimes we crave "sweetness", and the easiest way we give it to ourselves is through food. After all, grabbing a cookie might be easier to some than digging to find that "sweet-self-love" we all truly want.
  • Check back in 10. After the 10 minutes is up, see if you are hungry. Do you still want the food? Is there something else you want that is better for you? Just observe. Don't guilt yourself if you do eat the sweet.
  • Learn and enjoy. This was a lesson in mindfulness. See how you feel while you are eating it. See how you feel afterwards. Remember that how you feel is nourishment too. Be as kind to yourself as you can.

Beyond the mindfulness of eating, there are other factors to look at with our relationship with sweets. Another main reason we crave sweets is simple enough... because like attracts like. The more sweets you eat (even if they are artificial), the more we are begging for more.

When eating sweets, aim for whole foods made and packaged by Mother Nature herself. Fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds are great choices. Try to make sure you are also having fiber and protein while eating sweets, as it slows the sugar release down in your body.

Here is a great article (link below) on some great ideas on how to Tame Your Sweet Tooth.

Tame Your Sweet Tooth

When it comes to sugar, it helps to be strategic, says Jacob Teitelbaum, MD: “I’m not saying you can’t have pleasure in the form of sugar, but it’s time to start making informed choices.” Here are some tips:

* Put protein, healthy fat and fiber in the mix. All of them slow down the digestion process, averting blood-sugar spikes. Get creative by adding slow-digesting nutrients to your favorite sweets. If you’re going to have jam on your toast, make sure you’re also having an egg, some nut butter or other fat with your breakfast. If you’re going to eat cereal, put some walnuts on it. Top pear slices with crumbled Gorgonzola. Choose dark chocolate, which contains some fat, over fat-free candies.


Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/7-tricks-for-taming-your-sweet-tooth.html#ixzz1MiJ66Udo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALIVE! My Morphed Newsletter

SENSE ABOUT SCENTS has morphed. As an Independent Representative of the Young Living Essential Oils company, many received a monthly newsletter via email, SENSE ABOUT SCENTS. Since discovering the wonderful ONEGroup miessence® line of organic skincare and cosmetics , and launching my FOOTSTEPS IN EDEN reflexology business I've seen what I believe are some awesome reasons for morphing that newsletter into this wonderful blog. Since late October I have been working to bring blog readers helpful information on a variety of health and wellness topics. I've also included links to fun, informative, and educational spots on the web offering products and services I believe my readers will love and enjoy. When I am forced to categorize this blog, it's under health and wellness, but my readers also find posts and links relating to greening our world, family, spiritual matters, shopping, and more. In the last couple of weeks I've learned to offer an opportunity for readers to be...

Raw Food Facts

Of all the species of life on earth throughout history, only one alters it from its original raw state. No wonder why our species experiences more diseases than all other species combined. The SAD diet includes on average about 5,000 artificial additives each year. Raw broccoli contains just about as much calcium as whole milk and is linked to lower cancer risks.

Living Food (Raw Food)

Living Food (Raw Food) Why choose living foods? Live (Raw) contain more life (more enzymes your body needs to digest so it doesn't have to deplete other resources, more vitamins, minerals and nutrients, and more vital life energy to name a few). Is a Twinkie, sausage, or donut grow when you plant it in the ground? Can a cooked apple re-grow itself? Nope. But I have a whole seedling patio garden started from the seeds of the fresh, live food I eat. That is life force. (So I actually haven't tried to plant donut, but I would be amazed if a donut tree sprouted up!) There is a wealth of information on Raw and Living foods in books and on the internet. I hope to touch base just a bit more here, but if you are at all interested check out the other links and resources on the subject. I am not here to judge an eating, health or any lifestyle practice someone else has. I think it is important to enjoy, approve and be happy with our own individual lives . And if this lifestyle could be p...